Saturday, February 25, 2012

Delirium by Lauren Oliver


Genre:  YA Dystopian
Delirium Series, Book 1

Description (taken from Lauren Oliver's website):
Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing.

They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.

But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love.

Honestly, if you read the description and wonder, "What on earth?  No love?" then you probably need to read it.  It is a good dystopian read, but I wouldn't tell you to read it if you think your so done with dystopian novels (since they're the new fad).

When I first started reading about Lena's world, I had a hard time getting into it.  I had to reread the first twenty pages to figure out what was going on.  Lauren Oliver's words are very lyrical and descriptive, but they take a second to figure out.  Also, don't expect her book to go from one plot explosion to another.  Her book breathes with life.  You have the fast parts and the slow parts.  And the slow parts let you reflect and digest which made me love this book more.  And then I was in the last chapter without realizing it (my book had fifty extra pages of bonus content and I didn't realize this until afterwards).  Honestly, the plot built upon itself and went higher and higher, and then I felt like I fell off a cliff.  It's not a super huge cliffhanger, but things definitely aren't resolved by the ending (and I heard the second book's cliffhanger is worse).

This book reminds me of one of the first young adult dystopian books I read:  Uglies.  Yeah, I loved those books, and this one seemed eerily similar.  However, they do have some major differences.  And they're both great reads.  If you're ready for a good dystopian read, I recommend this one.  I'm definitely looking forward to the next one.


Challenges:  Young Adult Reading Challenge

1 comment:

  1. I've heard about this series but I've mostly heard about the 2nd book and was too lazy to look up the series. Thanks for this review! A world without love... scary. Now I have another book to add to my TBR list! :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...