Saturday, November 19, 2011

The Forest of Hands and Teeth by Carrie Ryan


Genre:  YA Apocalyptic Future (so I may have made this genre up)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth Series, Book 1

Description (taken from Carrie Ryan's website):
In Mary's world, there are simple truths.


The Sisterhood always knows best.


The Guardians will protect and serve.


The Unconsecrated will never relent.


And you must always mind the fence that surrounds the village. The fence that protects the village from the Forest of Hands and Teeth.


But slowly, Mary's truths are failing her. She's learning things she never wanted to know about the Sisterhood and its secrets, and the Guardians and their power. And, when the fence is breached and her world is thrown into chaos, about the Unconsecrated and their relentlessness.


Now she must choose between her village and her future, between the one she loves and the one who loves her. And she must face the truth about the Forest of Hands and Teeth. Could there be life outside a world surrounded by so much death?




About five pages into this book, and I was completely engrossed in Mary's world and her story.  So much in fact that I stayed up way past my bedtime reading without even realizing it.  In a world where death surrounds you, what do you hold onto for hope?  And what are you willing to risk to ensure your dreams can be reality?

This book was good until I got three-fourths of the way through it.  Zombies were killing off characters left and right.  And the story began to take a complete nose dive into a direction I didn't want to see it take.  Here's the question that this book made me think about: is it worth it to sacrifice everything and everyone around you to chase a dream that isn't a proven reality?

And then the book just ends.  That's it, no more...  Well, of course there's  a second and third book.  Of course I'll be reading them and hoping for a better ending.  But when it comes to a post-apocalyptic world where there are zombies everywhere, can there ever be a good ending?

1 comment:

  1. I love books that can suck me in within the first few pages. I am not the most patient of readers, so this sounds like something that I should try. It is too bad that things took a turn for the worst near the end. Thanks for your great review.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...